Tuesday, 29 July 2014

Pow Wow

This week I was supposed to be working on a secret project I started a while ago but I got sidetracked making a quilt using Cluck Cluck Sew's Pow Wow pattern.

I have wanted to make this quilt for some time and last week whilst rearranging some fabric I looked at my hoard of Marmalade fabrics by Bonnie & Camille and right then on the spot I decided to use some of it. Pow Wow was the perfect project.

The units went together very quickly.

And before I knew it I had a quilt top.  It was super fast and I love the result.

I still have to put a small white border on and once I do the top will measure approx 68" x 55" which is a nice throw size but I am toying with adding a scrappy Marmalade border to increase the size. What do you think - leave it as is or add a border?

This quilt yielded 240 bonus HST's.  I have assembled half into a mini chevron quilt top.  The other half will be used in a future project (another mini quilt).

In other sewing news, I finished another paper pieced star to add to my collection.

I'm not loving this one but I think it will blend with the others so I will reserve my judgement.

And finally, I completed one more block of my super secret project - here's just a little sneak peek.

Until next time.


Monday, 21 July 2014

Wonky Week

I have spent the majority of my sewing time this week making a wall hanging for a friend's housewarming.

It didn't start out as a wall hanging, that was a bit of an after thought.  Initially I made some improv wonky houses as a test for a bee swap.

Then I remembered I had a housewarming party to attend so I quickly utilised my test blocks and turned them into this.

It sort of grew as I went along.  Once I had the houses made I decided I needed some trees, then I thought a few flowers might look pretty. Then I decided to add clouds and birds and butterflies etc. etc. I kept adding embellishments until I thought it looked finished.

Some free motion quilting finished it off nicely and I managed to finish the binding about 2 hours before I had to leave for the party!

I loved the freedom of improv piecing and I am really happy with how it turned out but more importantly my girlfriend loved it so mission accomplished.

Here are a couple of close ups of each house.

Also this week I fulfilled my July bee obligations with these blocks.

And I got my next project cut up and ready to start.

I am using some of my precious Bonnie & Camille Marmalade fabric.  I decided to use it rather than hoard it!

But the highlight of my week was my no. 2 son's Deb Ball so I will leave you with a picture of my baby all grown up and looking handsome.

Until next time.