Monday 15 May 2017

Girt By Sea

I am so excited to finally be making a start on the quilt for my mum.

It took a while to get my head around the 'so out of my comfort zone' colours but they are growing on me and I have a plan (well sort of anyway!).

I utilised the colouring sheets that came with the Girt By Sea pattern by Modern Makers Retreat to do a few mock ups but when it came time to start the actual piecing I went a completely different way.  I think my mum is speaking to me and guiding me so I'm running with it.


I am new to English Paper Piecing and I really, really, really wanted to enjoy it but sadly I don't think it is my thing.  I follow so many people who love this technique and they all make it look so simple.  And maybe it is, but for me it is definitely a work in progress!


The middle of my centre star didn't line up very well but I don't have it in me to unpick and redo so I am embracing the imperfections and pushing on.


I still have a couple of rounds of EPP to go before the centre is finished and although l am getting a bit better at this technique I will be happy to get back to my machine for the next stage.

If you are on Instagram (if you're not, you should be!) you can keep up with everyone's progress by following ModernMakersRetreat or the hashtags #girtbyseaquilt and #mmrgirtbysea.
There are some absolutely amazing versions of the quilt being made by some extremely talented quilters.  Trust me, you won't be disappointed.

Until next time.

Sue


5 comments:

  1. I love the colors you have selected and what a lovely tribute to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the colors you have selected and what a lovely tribute to your mom!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is beautiful! Part of the art of EPP is embracing the imperfection (I think!)... Plus, look how wonderful your block looks in the photo... lovely job!

    ReplyDelete